Sports by guys who like sports

Friday, January 06, 2006

Coaching Decisions

I watched the National Title game and watched coaches go for it on 4th down multiple times and not make it. This ended up costing USC the game. I know it is easy to second guess as I am not out there with my name on the line. However I have to wonder, why go for it on 4th down with 2 minutes left instead of punting and making them drive the entire length of the field. Pete Carroll is supposed to be one of the "Defensive Geniuses of the game" according to the commentary during the game. He could not set up a defense that could limit Texas from driving the field with 2:00 minutes on the clock? However then you look at the opposite had they gotten the first that is the best call of the game and wins the game for USC. I like aggressive coaching, so I would have to say I support his call, except he had the wrong personnel in the game. I don't think you can leave Reggie Bush the best player in college football on the sideline for this play. Even if he is just a decoy, he has to be on the field.

1 Comments:

  • Good points. I think his decision was influenced by the fact that he had only 1 timeout remaining versus 3, and the way Texsux had been driving the ball.

    If he had 3, he could stop the clock (preserving some time for his own offense) when they moved it down the field.

    Having 1, he had to try to keep control of the game since they lose the game (as they did) if they don't get it and Texsux drives.

    At least that was my thought during the game, and still is.

    By Blogger Beermen Sports, at 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home