Sports by guys who like sports

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Vince Young

I may be in the minority with the opinion, but I'm not sure last night's game proved Vince Young is going to be the next great NFL QB. I think he's one of the better college QBs I've seen. Sure I hope he goes pro because I'm an OU fan, but I've tried to remove that bias from this argument.

He had a very nice completion percentage of 75%, threw for 267, and added 201 on the ground. His size and running ability will not be debated - those are legit. This argument will center around his passing since that's always the debate on running QBs.

The majority of his completions were to receivers who found holes in the USC zone and sat down, or on seam routes to a very good TE. I didn't see the precision (read: timing) and velocity to complete the 10-yard out or deep post that is required from an NFL QB. I'm not saying I could have completed the passes he did. I'm just saying I think Michael Vick even has more arm strength than him.

Also, there's the throwing motion. Texas has attempted to correct this for many years, but I don't know it can last in the NFL. Only time will tell how good of a career he has, but I don't think this is as open and shut as some. I certainly wouldn't bet anything significant on it yet.

4 Comments:

  • I am not sure I agree with you on this one. I understand what you are saying about his throwing motion and the passes he completed. However what he proved to me last night is the willingness to take what the defense gives him. I think this shows he has matured as a quarterback. I always hear that a great college quarterback will not have the arm strength to make it in the pro's. However then you turnaround and someone they never thought could play in college ends up being a great player, like Willie Parker for the Steelers.

    I agree last night does not prove Vince Young will be a great pro, in fact nothing does, until he proves it in the NFL. Reggie Bush has not proved anything yet, besides he has the talen to be great, but he could make it to the pro's and be the next Ron Dayne?

    I think Vince Young should go pro, not just because I am also an OU fan, but because I don't believe his hype and reputation will get any better than they are right now.

    I also wonder is this USC team still the best of all time? I mean according to ESPN this is the best winning streak of all time, because OU's shouldn't count because of the scholarships and when it happened.

    By Anonymous Schilling, at 5:33 AM  

  • We can all come up with several great college payers that just could not mold a solid career in the NFL. Alternatively, we can also pin point some decent NFL players and have no idea where they went to college.

    I think Vince's success will depend on which NFL team drafts him. I don't think he’s a great fit for every style of offense and I also think a team should not retro fit their offense to fit his style. His success will not only be limited by his ability, but also his team’s confidence in his ability, on the field leadership, the type of offense the team runs, and how well his receivers, running backs, and offensive line support him. Being a Texas fan, I concede he should go to the NFL, unless one of his life long goals is to win the Heisman Trophy.

    By Anonymous Chi Chi, at 7:59 AM  

  • vince young will be a bust in the nfl or a steve mcnair. akili smith. kordell stuart. are teh two quarterbacks he is most likely to become

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM  

  • -- My Original Post --

    About 100 posts ago, I overstated that NFL scouts are morons if they don't think Vince Young can be a NFL QB.

    Well, I now consider this an understatement. Regardless of the Hiesman Trophy, VY is the best football player in college football this year, and maybe this decade.

    His combination of speed, size, balance, poise, vision, and strength is the best I have ever seen from a college QB. Everyone wants the next Michael Vick, but I think after VY gets a few years under his belt, people are going to be wanting the next Vince Young.

    By Anonymous Dillon, at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home