Sports by guys who like sports

Friday, February 10, 2006

Athletes in Society

Is it fair for athletes to get preferential treatment?

I followed the Prentiss Elliott story while he was at OSU, and most of you know that I was very critical of OSU signing him. I knew he was a superb athlete, but I also knew about his troubled past. Well, I quit following the story after Coach Gundy dismissed him from the team, and I just saw the sentence of his trial.

Elliott assaulted an off duty police man, acting as a security guard for high school basketball. The maximum sentence is one year in jail and $1000 fine. He was sentenced to a $250 fine.

This is ridiculous. The law system is failing to teach Mr. Elliott the lesson that he needs to be taught.

Dillon

3 Comments:

  • I couldn't agree with you more. While like any fan at times, I am probably biased when it is a player from a team I am rooting for, I would agree as an athlete/celebrity you get off easier. Perfect example is Leonard Little here in STL, he got drunk drove and killed a woman. He spent no time in Prison, he got community service and was back in time to play the next season. Then this year he got another DUI violating his probation, to date he has still not missed a game and his trial is still pending. My issue is if that were me, I would definitely have spent some time in jail. Proof that justice is not blind in America.

    By Anonymous Schilling, at 1:43 PM  

  • yall need to leave him alone dont yall have any thing else better for u 2 do

    By Blogger nobody, at 6:20 PM  

  • all of yall can shut up did u know that he hit the police officer because he pussed his mother so prentiss hit him i there at the game waching the whole thing

    By Blogger nobody, at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home