Sports by guys who like sports

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

President Bush sighting at Eskimo Joes

Last weekend my brother graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, and my mother, wife, and I were all there to witness it. A Dillon that went Ivy League, hard to imagine. By the way, my brother and I are extremely different, but we have a great relationship.

The commencement speech was given by Jodie Foster, and it was a little controversial, but a very good speech. However, while at Penn, I was flabbergasted by the attitudes of the Penn Faculty, Alumni, and Students. They were extremely cocky, rude, and arrogant, while all dressing like Carlton off the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. (I yelled to the cabby yo’ homes smell you later!”)

My brother does not act this way, but the most of the “Fighting Quakers” seem to live in lala land. Over half of the students that I talked to did not have jobs yet, but after graduation they were going to try to get one. They viewed a job as something that should be provided to them, much like most of their lives had been to that point (Most of the students grew up in extremely wealthy homes). I am not speaking of those that had tried to get a job, but had failed. This happens to almost all of us. However, I heard Jodie Foster and the Dean of the University both say that it was OK to not have searched for a job yet. Is it really? Why do students go to this University?

While I thought the University of Penn was beautiful and rich in tradition, I also thought that Penn wasn’t teaching students what they need to learn to help themselves or better society. I see the opposite at OSU, and if I were to venture out, I imagine that I would see this at most schools in the Midwest. The attitude at these schools is about work, dedication, and building your own life. President Bush did a great job with “his” OSU commencement speech, and I think he summed up the attitude of the university.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/05/20060506-2.html

When I graduated, I didn’t know anyone that didn’t have immediate plans, either furthering their education or a job. I believe it is this attitude that also separates the blue from the red states. There is much to be learned from both sides, and both sides have great points, but most know where to go, if you want something to get done.

5 Comments:

  • Brian, I agree with some of what you are saying, but also disagree as well. I don't think it is fair to say that the East coast is that way because of one school. I think when you see kids who grow up in a priviliged life they don't have the urgency that those of us that grew up in the real world do. They could afford not to have a job because mom and dad will foot the bill until they do. I did not have that luxury.

    There is definitely a difference between where in the country you are located. One thing I hate hearing from both coasts of the country is that people in the midwest don't work as hard. I think that is complete crap.

    By Anonymous Schilling, at 3:35 PM  

  • I have lived on both coasts, you hicks in the midwest call sittin on a tractor work...

    By Blogger jsr, at 3:58 PM  

  • Dillon, didn't I say much the same thing about Ivy schools to you this weekend and you told me how Penn was different

    By Blogger jsr, at 3:59 PM  

  • Jeffrey,

    I stated that my brother and a few of his friends were different.

    I love tractors....

    Dillon

    By Anonymous Dillon, at 10:42 AM  

  • Was surfing the net loking for some pelican ski shops and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home